Sunday, February 19, 2012

ode to weekend

Nothing makes me happier than the weekend. Especially a weekend that doesn't include running to and from the ends of the earth. This was one of those weekends! After working the past two saturdays and an emotional couple of weeks. It was just what the doctor ordered, a busy-free weekend. One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is make breakfast for my family. Because of work I am busy getting myself and two kiddos ready for the day so a big breakfast is just not an option. But this weekend it was all about the bacon, sausage, pancakes and eggs! yummo! after making the ginormous breakfast on Saturday, my biggest girl and I headed to the dreaded..... Grocery store! needless to say it had been way to long. After filling our cart to the brim we came home and made a huge mexican feast for dinner. This was not any mexican food- this was STREET Tacos! If you have never had them then you are truly missing out. When My husband was in residency we found this mexican cart that parked out on 10th street. you could fill your belly until you you were full on about $5.00. Our meal was a bit more pricey but since we were planning on eating it for a couple days it was well worth it. Now before you say gross- pork! Just give them a try. I am not a big pork fan either but these are worth it.

Pulled Pork Street Tacos.

in a crock pot combine all of the following.

1 small pork loin
1 cup shredded carrots
1.5 cup cilantro
1 can rotel
1 onion chopped

let cook for about 3 hours on high or until done. Shred pork for tacos. My kiddos loved it like this. However, my husband and I wanted a little more flavor so we used the juices from the crock pot and sautéed the meat with a packet of taco seasoning. It was so delicious! Then we took some corn tortillas grilled them in the pan and yum...delicious pork tacos.

I also made a delicious fresh salsa to top them with.

1/4 cup cilantro or about a quarter size bunch chopped.
fresh tomatoes chopped
1 can rotel (if you like less spicy- use the mild)
1/2 onion chopped
1 tsp garlic add more if needed
1/4 can of tomato sauce(more or less to achieve desired thickness)

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy our street taco experiment. We sure did and it was a hit with our girls too, always a plus!! Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment